This dish was not really within my budget because I didn’t have all the ingredients and had to buy them. The total cost for everything was $30. I spent $15 on the pork belly, the other $15 was spent on the spices. I brought the mushrooms back from Singapore. So I technically cheated (;
Recipe adapted from Noob Cook
450g – 500g Pork Belly, no need to slice
3 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
1 litre Water
8 dried Chinese Mushrooms
1 Cinnamon Stick
1 Star Anise
4 small pieces of Rock Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice Powder
1.5 bulbs of garlic, separated into individual cloves (Don’t Peel)
1. Soak dried mushrooms in small bowl of hot water till puffy. Drain Water.
2. In a pot/wok, brown pork belly on both sides on medium heat.
3. Add half of the dark soy sauce directly over the meat on one side, flip over, and drizzle the remaining dark soy over the other side of the meat.
4. Add water and the stewing ingredients. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to simmer (with lid partially closed) for an hour.
5. Check the water level to ensure that the braising sauce is not dried out during the simmering. Add more water if it dries out.
6. At this point, adjust the taste according to preference. If you like it sweeter, add 3 or 4 pieces of rock sugar. If you like it saltier, add more soy sauce. If you do adjust the ingredients, simmer it for 10 minutes.
7. When ready, take out the meat, slice and serve with rice or bun.